Bahraini security forces have fired stun grenades at protesters outside a cultural exhibition in Manama ahead of Sunday's Formula 1 Grand Prix. A local journalist told the BBC the demonstrators in Old Manama were shouting "Down, down, F1" and demanding the release of Abdulhadi al-Khawaja. The activist has been on hunger strike in prison for more than two months. Mr Khawaja's lawyer earlier told the BBC that his client had removed the intravenous drip keeping him alive. The 52-year-old told his wife on Tuesday afternoon that he was also now refusing anything but water, Mohammed al-Jishi said. Mr Khawaja believed nothing was being done to resolve his continued detention, and this was the only way to force the issue, he added. Abdulhadi al-Khawaja's lawyer released this picture of his client taken in hospital on 3 April Mr Khawaja was convicted by a military court in June of plotting against the state, but human rights groups have said that his trial was "grossly unfair". They said his conviction was based on a confession he made under duress, and that no evidence was presented showing he had used or advocated violence during protests against King Hamad Al Khalifa. Bahrain's highest court is due to rule on Mr Khawaja's appeal against his conviction on Monday - a day after the Grand Prix. Last year's race was cancelled after at least 35 people, including five police, were killed during a crackdown on pro-democracy protests.


14:53
blogzone
Posted in:
0 comments:
Post a Comment